Monday 20 July 2015

Summer Holiday Projects

With schools breaking up for summer here in the UK a lot of people's minds are drifting towards holiday knitting or crochet - how many projects is it acceptable to pack, do I take any WIPs or start new things, learn a new skill or something more straightforward.  The decisions are endless!  

My Planum socks
I know many of you are taking your Scollay cardigans on holiday to knit on while sitting on the beach or in car.  Sadly I don't have any summer holidays planned but I have a Christmas holiday to look forward to.  My holiday knitting planning will start around November although I already have one or two ideas!  There will be a lists made, a rummage in the stash and perhaps new yarn purchased.  I will be sure to share my plans with you.  Do you do the same?  

I thought it would be fun to imagine I was heading off on a two week summer holiday and plan what projects I would take with me. 

So picture the scene..... warm long summer days, a stunning coastal view, sitting outside with Fizz the dog and a nice cool drink by my side........  

For travelling I nearly always take socks.  They take up very little space and the rows are nice and short.  I would not want anything too complicated though. I have just cast off Planum which is a design in Sock Anatomy which would be perfect as would the textured design of Tarsi.  Both designs are straightforward with very little counting involved.

For my imaginary summer holiday I would take projects which had been in my queue for a while.  Once such pattern is Tiny Shoots which I bought along with two skeins of Eden Cottage Yarns BFL Sock last year at Woolfest.  It is a really pretty summer top which would make perfect holiday knitting as it starts with lace work around the neck which flows onto a stocking stitch body.  

Tiny Shoots by Kate Heppell
My third and final project would have to be a shawl.  Byatt would be a good pattern to pack alongside Tiny Shoots as it starts with relaxing garter stitch, followed by a slip stitch pattern and finished with a lace edge.  Both projects could be cast on at the same time and I could switch between easy garter stitch knitting or lace work.  There are some stunning  
projects in Ravelry for this design with some great colour combinations.  I think I would be tempted to make mine in West Yorkshire Spinners Signature 4 ply in the Butterscotch and Poppy Seed - A grellow combination!    

Grellow
I would love to hear what your summer knitting or crochet plans are, real or like mine imaginary.  Have a great summer everyone!
   

2 comments:

  1. I have that grellow combo too and I would love to knit the foolproof cowl with it! the colours are lovely together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes that would look fab in those colours. I would love to see it when it is done!

      Delete